We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Can you get a fungus anywhere on your body?

I've heard of people get a foot fungus that causes itchiness and stuff. Can you get a fungus like this anywhere on your body? I kind of think I might have something like this on the skin on my testicles.
Fungal infections can occur almost anywhere on your skin. When the infection occurs on the foot we call this athletes foot, or tinea pedis. Fungal infections of the groin area can also itch and burn like athletes foot and is called tinea cruris or jock itch. The treatment for these two conditions are similar, and can be discussed and prescribed by your doctor. In any case, it is best for you to keep that area of your body as dry as possible, and avoid over-washing it. To finish your question, there are other areas that you can get fungal infection. When they occur on the body, we call it ring worm, or tinea corporis. If the infection occurs on the head, then we call it tinea capitis. The good news is that only tinea capitis requires an oral medication. Every other type of fungal infection of the skin will go away with an antifungal cream. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine the rash on your testicles and make sure that it is just a fungal infection, and not something more concerning. Hopefully, your doctor will recognize the problem, and be able to provide treatment right away.

• Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723