Make an appointment:
(i.e. Dermatologists)
Choose a Specialty
No Results

Can you get a fungus anywhere on your body?

I've heard of people get a foot fungus that causes itchiness and stuff. Can you get a fungus like this anywhere on your body? I kind of think I might have something like this on the skin on my testicles.
Fungal infections can occur almost anywhere on your skin. When the infection occurs on the foot we call this athletes foot, or tinea pedis. Fungal infections of the groin area can also itch and burn like athletes foot and is called tinea cruris or jock itch. The treatment for these two conditions are similar, and can be discussed and prescribed by your doctor. In any case, it is best for you to keep that area of your body as dry as possible, and avoid over-washing it. To finish your question, there are other areas that you can get fungal infection. When they occur on the body, we call it ring worm, or tinea corporis. If the infection occurs on the head, then we call it tinea capitis. The good news is that only tinea capitis requires an oral medication. Every other type of fungal infection of the skin will go away with an antifungal cream. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine the rash on your testicles and make sure that it is just a fungal infection, and not something more concerning. Hopefully, your doctor will recognize the problem, and be able to provide treatment right away.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under ZocDoc’s Terms of Service.

Nearby Doctors

  • Dr. Samrah Mansoor
    Dr. Samrah Mansoor MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    9815 E Harry St
    Wichita, KS 67207
  • Dr. Sitha Miller
    Dr. Sitha Miller MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    943 N Andover Road
    Andover, KS 67002
  • Dr. Ron Marek
    Dr. Ron Marek DO
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    1901 N. Maize Road
    Wichita, KS 67212

Other Doctors

  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723
Who answers these questions?
Answers are written by doctors from top institutions:
  • Cleveland Clinic
  • Boston Children's Hospital
  • NYU Langone Medical Center
  • Brigham and Women's Hospital
  • Johns Hopkins Hospital
  • Mass General Hospital
  • Beth Israel Medical Center
Share This Answer
Need More Info?