ZocdocAnswersWhat do I do if I scraped one of my moles off?

Question

What do I do if I scraped one of my moles off?

I was scrubbing my leg really hard to get some mud off and slipped with the soap and cut off a mole with my fingernail. Is this going to do damage to my skin? Do moles heal just like any other cut or should I see a doc?

Answer

Moles, as you probably know, are just collections of pigmented cells that reside inside the other layers of the skin. In other words, they are surrounded on all sides by otherwise normal skin. So, when you scrape or cut the skin over a mole, all of the necessary elements are still there to make sure that the skin heals just fine. If there are still traces of the mole left in the cut, that may grow back as well. I think that you can treat the area just like you would treat any other cut or scrape. Keep it clean and dry, and perhaps apply some anti bacterial ointment. If the cut is not healing well or if it starts to look infected (redness, pain, pus) then you should get in to see your primary care doctor. Also if the mole grows back and looks funny to you (enlarging rapidly, irregular borders or texture or colors) then you should also get that checked out, as any suspicious mole should be evaluated to make sure it is not evolving into cancer. For more information about this issue, start by talking with your primary care doctor who will be able to help you out!