Click to book now:

What does it mean if you can feel your heartbeat in your neck?

When I'm laying down to go to sleep, sometimes I can feel my pulse in my neck muscles. Like it feels like my neck is pulsing with my heart. Is this normal? Why is my neck doing this?
This can be a normal thing. Many people, when they lay in a certain position, especially when things are quiet, can feel their pulse beating in their neck. This does not usually mean there is anything wrong with you, and most of the time it can be fixed simply by laying in a different position. Occasionally, this pulsating sensation in the neck can be a sign of high blood pressure or another serious problem, especially if you also have palpitations, shortness or breath, dizziness, or another other concerning symptoms. However, in the absence of these symptoms, you probably don't have to worry. Regardless, you could go to see your primary care doctor. Annual checkup are an important part of your overall health. At an annual checkup, your doctor will be able to perform a thorough review, including checking your blood pressure, listening to your heart, etc. Based on this, they will be able to tell you whether there are any concerning findings and whether or not you need further tests. With this issue, and with all other general medical questions, your primary care doctor is always your best resource, and they will always be happy to answer any questions you might have!

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N