ZocdocAnswersIs human growth hormone safe?

Question

Is human growth hormone safe?

I?m interested in keeping my skin looking young as long as I can. I?m a 38 year old female and I am considering using human growth hormone. Is it a safe therapy or could it do serious damage to my body?

Answer

I can only think of a few reasons in which taking human growth hormone would be something anyone should consider. I do not think that taking growth hormone will do anything for your skin, and almost certainly would alter your appearance significantly in a negative way. Therapy with human growth hormone is limited to children whom lack the hormone (and therefore become congenitally short), or in children or are greater than 90% below the average for height. Even the later indication is controversial. Growth hormone acts by causing the growth of bone and muscles. When the growth plates in the bones are open (as in kids), bones grow in length making someone taller. When human growth hormone is given in excess to adults (who have there growth plates fused) the bones can no longer grow longer but they do grow wider. This causes the face and jaw to widen creating an appearance that we call acromegaly (search for this term on the internet for pictures). If you are concerned about the health of your skin, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist for a consultation. The two of you can discuss methods and perhaps safe products which can help your skin look younger.