ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my eyes are sticking out more than usual?

Question

What does it mean if my eyes are sticking out more than usual?

I guess I just hadn?t noticed before, but I was looking in the mirror without my glasses on and they look like they?re protruding more than usual. Can this even happen? Is it a symptom of something?

Answer

First of all, I would make sure that the feeling that your eyes are sticking out more than usual is not an optical illusion from having, for example, large circles under your eyes or eye allergies that are causing your eyes to turn red. If so, then it is likely that treating the underlying problem will make your eyes seem less prominent. On the other hand, if you don't have either dark circles or eye allergies/red eyes, then one possible medical condition that needs to be ruled out is Grave's disease. This is a condition in which the body's immune system provokes the thyroid gland to be overactive. This can lead to palpitations, sweating, nervousness, weight loss and other related symptoms. Cross reaction in the immune response between the tissue behind the eye and in the thyroid gland causes swelling and inflammation and makes the eyes appear to 'bug out.' If you have symptoms of an overactive thyroid gland such as those I just mentioned, then you should definitely see your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform some simple blood tests to rule out Grave's disease; if the tests are positive, they will be able to suggest treatment.