ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about the bump behind my ear?

Question

Should I be worried about the bump behind my ear?

I have a little bump on the back of my ear, like on the large round part in the back. It isn?t a pimple because its just flesh-colored. What is this? Could it be a tumor?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have a lump on the back of your ear and you are worried that it might be a tumor. From what I can tell by your description it sounds like the bump is located on the posterior aspect of what is called the conchal bowl of your ear. This is the "bowl-like" middle third of your ear that helps to direct sound waves into your ear canal in hearing. It is comprised of cartilage, perichondrium (the lining around the cartilage), a small amount of soft tissue stroma (connective tissue), and then the layers of thin skin over it. I suppose that there could be a dermal cyst of some sort growing back there. There could potentially be an epidermal growth (mole, wart, etc) although this is a relatively uncommon location. It could also potentially be a cartilage deformity, although I think that this would be improbable. My best guess without being able to examine you is that there may be an enlarged lymph node that you are feeling through your skin. This could be from a scratch in the skin or from a low-grade local infection. After a good exam from an Ears Nose and Throat (ENT) physician, they should be able to tell you confidently what it is. I wish you all the best.