What are the sudden sharp pains in my lungs?

I get these unexpected pains in my lungs that come out of no where. What are they? It doesn?t matter if I?m breathing hard or not. I?m only 22 and this is scaring me.
Sorry to hear that you are having this experience. Pains in the chest can definitely be scary, as they often make us think of serious problems like heart attacks. However, if the pains you are having are just transient and not associated with dizziness, palpitations, chest pressure, or shortness of breath then I can reassure you that, at the age of 22, the likelihood that this is a serious problem is pretty low. Nevertheless, you should see your doctor to make sure that everything is ok! One very common problem that can cause this type of pain is costochondritis. This is an inflammatory condition of the joints between the ribs and the sternum. Often the pain is worse with a deep breath, and it can also be provoked by pressing on the space between the ribs and sternum. In fact, if you can press here and provoke pain, this is very reassuring that this is not a more serious problem! Costochondritis generally improves over time with a basic anti inflammatory medication, and is not serious at all! Other common problems would include pleuritis, which is an inflammation of the lining around the lung, and a strain or sprain of the muscles between the ribs. These also are not very serious. Start by seeing your primary care doctor who can rule out the serious stuff and then help you set up a treatment plan!