ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have constant abdominal pain in the mornings?

Question

Why do I have constant abdominal pain in the mornings?

I'm an18 year old girl and for the past 3 months or so, I've been awaken by painful cramps in my lower abdomen. At first it feels as if I've been needing to go to the bathroom, so I do, but itt never helps. The cramps get worse, and it's extremely hard to lay down comfortably. It hurts to lay any way other than flat on my back. The pain usually lasts for about an hour or so after I wake up, and in that whole time I feel nauseous and sick.

Answer

You absolutely need to get in to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. Any abdominal pain like this that goes on for more than a few weeks needs to be investigate. The first thing would be to make sure that you are not pregnant, as abdominal pain and nausea in the mornings could definitely be from pregnancy. Your doctor will ask questions about your periods and will likely also perform a pregnancy test. A second possibility would be that this is an intestinal problem, such as constipation. In addition to asking questions about your bowel movement, your doctor will feel your stomach for any obvious pain or fullness that could suggest constipation or another intestinal problem. A third possibility would be a pelvic infection, caused by a sexually transmitted infection. You will likely need a vaginal examination to exclude this possibility and perhaps some simple urine tests. As you can see, the symptom of abdominal pain is a little vague and the possible causes are quite varied (and I have just listed a few). Therefore, the exam and interview with your doctor is really critical to helping narrow down the possibilities and get you feeling better.