ZocdocAnswersWhy are my baby's eyes rolling?

Question

Why are my baby's eyes rolling?

my baby is 4 months old and her eyes roll from side to side constantly she does not focus. her peditrician says it is poor eye muscle control

Answer

All newborn babies have poor control over the muscles that move the eyes, just as they have poor control of all the other muscles in their bodies! At first babies can not even focus on objects and they see everything as just blurry shapes and shadows. However, by about 2-3 months of age, a baby should be able to focus at least momentarily on an object and follow it briefly with their eyes. If your baby is not doing this, this could be an indication of something wrong that needs to be evaluate. Even though at this age a baby can focus briefly on an object, this does not mean that they can coordinate the movement of their two eyes simultaneously! Therefore it is common for babies to be 'cross-eyed' at 2-3 months of age. However, by 4-5 months of age, they should be learning to coordinate their eyes and the cross-eyed look should be going away. Therefore if your baby continue to have cross-eyed moments for much longer, it is not unreasonable to have an evaluation by a pediatric eye doctor. Talk to your pediatrician if the symptoms continue or if you have further questions.