What causes heart disease?

What exactly is heart disease. Can you get it even if you're healthy? I feel fine but theres a big history of it in my family.
Heart disease is a general term that refers to a variety of problems causing damage to the heart. The most common type is cardiovascular disease that is commonly caused by atherosclerosis, or a buildup of fatty plaques that leads to hardening of the arteries, which are blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients from your heart to the rest of your body. Other common types of heart disease are heart arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythms), valvular heart disease, coronary heart disease, and cardiomyopathy which is a thickening or enlarging of the heart muscle. Heart defects is also another type of heart disease that occur when your heart's structure changes as you age. A family history of heart disease increase your risk so it is good idea to ensure a healthy lifestyle with a healthy diet to prevent obesity and adequate exercise. Other major risk factors of a heart disease are smoking, high blood pressure (hypertension), high cholesterol, and diabetes. Although you appear healthy, a heart disease is something that is accumulating over time. Since heart diseases run in your family, you should take extra steps to reduce your risks of developing it. If you have concerns, I would recommend you to consult with a primary care doctor or a cardiologist to get evaluated.

Other Cardiologists