Will my child still be allowed to attend school if I don't have her vaccinated?

My daughter is only 2 years old, but I don't think I want her to get vaccinated any more than what she already has (I think the doctor gave her something already). I don't think that vaccines are safe. Will she still be able to go to school?
The rules on vaccinations and whether or not you child can attend school vary from state to state and school to school. I would say that most schools have a fairly strict policy that certain vaccinations are received prior to attending. Since most kids go on to other schools later in childhood, you are bound to eventually run into a school that requires your child to get her shots. Vaccinations are an important topic to discuss. Much like we advise you to have your child wear a seatbelt in the care, we always advise you to have your child get the routine vaccinations. Vaccinations have saved millions of lives and are very safe. In nearly every case, the enormous benefits of vaccinations outweigh their small risks. This is especially important today as illnesses such as measles are making a comeback partially due to unvaccinated children. If you choose to not have your child vaccinated, you may have trouble getting her into school, but more importantly you will be putting her in harm's way. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your child's pediatrician. He or she can review the vaccinations your child needs. You will also get educated on the risks and benefits of these shots. I hope you choose to have your child protected from these preventable illnesses. Good luck.

Other Pediatricians