ZocdocAnswersCan psychological problems affect your sex drive?

Question

Can psychological problems affect your sex drive?

My husband has been going through a tough time being unemployed and doesn't seem interested in me any more. If he's depressed or something, could it be affecting his sex drive?

Answer

A person's sex drive can be directly related to their mood or other psychological issues. Depression is one of the most common causes of a lower sex drive and is almost certainly the cause in your husband. Although we don't know exactly why this occurs, it is a well documented problem. In generally, people that suffer from depression stop enjoying things that they used to enjoy. Unfortunately sex is often one of those things. We believe this is because the part of the brain responsible for libido is inhibited because of the depression. The most important thing for you to do is get him in to see a doctor. Although being unemployed can be very depressing, he still should consider being treated for his depression. While it is normal to be down for a while when something like this happens, it is not normal to lose interest in the things you used to enjoy. You could start by scheduling him to see his primary care physician. He or she can evaluate the situation and determine what the next best course of action is. Probably he deserves at least a trial on an antidepressant medication. Hopefully, he will being feeling better soon. Good luck.