search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do allergies ever go away?"

ZocdocAnswersDo allergies ever go away?

Question

I have had really bad allergies since I was a kid, they said I grow out of them but haven't yet, getting worse.

Answer

Allergies are abnormal immune system reactions to substances that are harmless to most people, but your immune system mistakenly believes them to be harmful to your body and responds by producing immunoglobin E (IgE) antibodies to fight off these "invaders." An allergic reaction occurs when the IgE antibodies that are now in your body trigger the release of histamines, leukotrienes, and other chemicals to cause allergy symptoms. Allergic reactions are very individual. They can be mild or severe, vary from exposure to exposure, get better or worse overtime, and can sometimes be fatal. It is true that children sometimes outgrow their allergies. What allergies do you have since you were a kid? Although children do outgrow some allergies (i.e., dairy products, some fruits and vegetables), allergies that cause the worst reactions, such as anaphylaxis caused by peanuts, do not usually go away. So, it all comes down to what kind of allergies you have and not all allergies are equal. I would recommend a consultation with a primary care doctor if you have concerns. The doctor may refer you to an allergy specialist who can help you prepare for accidental exposure in the form of medications such as antihistamines and portable epinephrine injections. Best of luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.