ZocdocAnswersWhy has my body odor changed?

Question

Why has my body odor changed?

I'm a 24 y/o guy and I feel like my body odor has recently got much worse. Haven't changed my routine or anything, or what toiletries I use. Why might this be happening?

Answer

The most common reason for unpleasant body odor is excessive sweating. Has the weather been very hot lately that you tend to sweat more than before? Sweat is necessary to cool the body from warm temperatures. Not many people know this, but sweat by itself is virtually odorless. It is bacteria that uses your sweat as a breeding ground and multiple rapidly. What you smell is the bacteria growing on the surface of your skin. If you notice a body odor even when you are not working out or in a hot area, you may have a condition called hyperhidrosis. Body odor is also directly related to the waste products of your body's digestion. What you eat significantly affects how you smell. If you eat low quality, unhealthy foods containing a lot of chemicals (i.e., fast food, fried foods or other processed foods), your body flushes out the toxins by sweating that emits a pungent smell reflecting what you have eaten (onions, garlic, peppers and other spices) through the pore of your skin. Occasionally, body odor may be an effect of a metabolic change caused by an underlying medical condition or disease such as thyroid problems, liver disease, kidney disease and low blood pressure, etc. Don't panic, though. Smelly sweat and body odor aren't the only symptoms of a disease, but there are many other symptoms. There are plenty of treatment methods available so you don't have to suffer your body odor for the rest of your life. I suggest a consultation with a primary care doctor who may refer you to a specialist.