Click to book now:

Is having flat feet a health risk?

My dad told me that my feet are flat when I complained that they get sore very easily. Could how flat my feet are really make my feet sore? Are there any other health risks involved with this?
Flat feet occur when the arches of the feet, which normally curve upward, are relatively straight. Since the arch of the foot acts as a spring, or shock absorber, in the foot when you walk or run, flat feet result in more force being transferred to the foot, which can cause pain or soreness after physical activity. There are no other major health risks associated with the condition. Symptoms from flat feet can be minimized by making sure to take adequate rest time and by avoiding standing on your feet for long periods of time. You can also wear shoes with good arch support or even buy arch inserts. If you are still having trouble even after these measure, you can see a podiatrist, who may have additional recommendations, including custom-made shoes. People with flat feet are also more likely to get other overuse problems in the feet. For example, plantar fasciitis is a condition in which the connective tissue in front of the heel bone on the bottom of the foot becomes inflamed. Pain is usually localized to this area and treating it sometimes requires special exercises or physical therapy. Talk to your primary care doctor if you have persistent pain or discomfort in your feet!
Have further Questions? See a doctor!