ZocdocAnswersDoes Vitamin D help with seasonal allergies?

Question

Does Vitamin D help with seasonal allergies?

I get really bad hay fever because of where I live (in the country, very humid!). I read somewhere that Vitamin D pills can help with allergies. Should I just start taking Vitamin D? Could I possibly take to much if I do start taking it?

Answer

Vitamin D deficiency has received a lot of attention lately as a contributor to many illnesses. What we know for sure is that vitamin D is essential for the body's handling of calcium and bone growth. While it is possible that many people are vitamin D deficient, it is not clear that it is associated with seasonal allergies. In addition, unless you have a vitamin D blood level measured, there is no way to tell if you are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D is obtained from two sources. First, our bodies make vitamin D through exposure to sunlight. If you get a sufficient amount of sun exposure, then you are less likely to be vitamin D deficient. In addition, we get some vitamin D from our diet, specifically in fortified milk. While vitamin D toxicity (too much vitamin D) is rare, it is possible to consume too much especially if you take too many vitamin D pills. The best type of physician for you to speak to about this is your primary care physician. He or she can listen to the description of your allergy symptoms and determine what the best course of action is for you. There are many very effective treatments that should be tried first. In addition, if you are worried about your vitamin D level, you can have your blood levels checked. Good luck.