What is this bump above my eyebrow?

There seems to be a hard, swollen spot just above my eyebrow on the left side. What is it? Is something wrong with my brain?
First of all, you can rest assured that having a bump on your forehead doesn't say anything at all about a problem with your brain! It is likely that this is just a cyst under the skin. Cysts can form anywhere on the body under the skin, and they are almost always benign and nothing to worry about. However, sometimes cysts do need to be removed surgically. This is generally because they are growing rapidly and either becoming uncomfortable by stretching the skin or because they are causing a cosmetic problem. Removing a cyst is a simple procedure, and it can usually be done in your doctor's office. First a small amount of numbing medicine is injected under the skin. Then, the cyst is cut out and the incision in the skin is stitched together with sutures, which generally stay in place for a week or so. If you are interested in having this bump evaluated further, you should see a dermatologist or a surgeon. If your primary care doctor performs office procedures, that would be another option. They will help you decide whether or not to have the bump removed or whether to leave it in place for now.

Nearby Dermatologists