"If I have kidney stones, will I eventually have to pass them?"

Had some urinary tract problems over the last year. They did some tests and found some small kidney stones. Will I eventually pass them or could they go away on their own?
The answer to this question depends on how large the stones are, and how many of them you have. If you have stones in your kidney, there is always a possibility that you could pass them down your ureters into your bladder. This is when kidney stones become very painful. Since you haven't passed any yet, there is a possibility that they will dissolve over time. In the mean time, you should take measures to try and prevent more of them from forming. In patients that have no other major health problems, I recommend people increase their fluid intake which dilutes their urine and prevents stones from forming. Depending on the type of stone that formed, there are medications that can prevent them from forming. These are all issues that you could discuss with your doctor. Since you already have documented kidney stones, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist. This doctor can take a look at the studies you have had done so far, and make a recommendation on how to get rid of them without any invasive procedures. If they don't go away, or if you end up passing a stone, then there are procedures they can do to break them apart in your kidney before you pass them.

Nearby Nephrologists

Other Nephrologists