ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have random bruises?

Question

Why do I have random bruises?

I seem to get small, random bruises on my abdomen and torso. I am a 32 year old female and I haven't noticed this happening before. I didn't do anything to cause a bruise so I don't know why this is happening...

Answer

An increase in bruising is something that you should have checked out. When someone comes to me with easy bruising, I first ask if there is any type of trauma that could have caused it. If you can remember bumping into something, that would be helpful. If you don't remember any trauma to these areas that are bruising, then you should probably have some blood tests done to look at how well your blood clots. Blood clotting problems can cause small bumps that you do not notice to cause bruises that you do notice. This type of test can be done very easily in your doctor's office. Specifically, your doctor will want to measure your blood clotting time and your platelet count. Together, these two tests can help diagnose many (but not all) blood clotting disorders. Other conditions that don't alter these tests will require more detailed blood tests. You can start by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will take a look at your bruises and further investigate what the problem may be. This may include getting the above mentioned blood tests. If any of the are abnormal, you may warrant referral to a hematologist (blood specialist). Good luck.