ZocdocAnswersCould my wisdom teeth be causing my headaches?

Question

Could my wisdom teeth be causing my headaches?

I'm getting headaches lately and I think it has to do with my teeth. My dentist said I need my wisdom teeth out eventually but that their fine right now. Still, could my wisdom teeth be making my head hurt?

Answer

I am sure you are aware that there are many different types of headaches that people can suffer from. For this reason, a physician is going to need to take an in depth history to find out exactly where you feel these headaches, characterize them, how long they last for, how frequent they come, how long between episodes, is there a trigger, do you feel an aura before they come on, etc... All of these answers (and many more that they will ask) will help them to narrow down the differential diagnosis for exactly what type of headaches you may have (ex. tension, cluster, migraine, etc...) and how best to treat them. I don't want to tell you that the headaches are not from your wisdom teeth, because there is no way to know for sure without talking to you, and doing a thorough exam, but without obvious tooth pain, I doubt that they are a cause. Sometimes people can develop headaches due to bruxism, or clenching of the teeth (mainly at night), which is something that they will need to ask about. I would recommend making an appointment at a headache clinic, or with a neurologist to be examined. I wish you all the best.