ZocdocAnswersWhat are the risks associated with liposuction?

Question

What are the risks associated with liposuction?

I've lost a lot of weight over the last couple of years, but can't seem to get some fat to go away around my belly. I'm considering liposuction. Are there any long term risks associated with it? I'm a 48 year old female.

Answer

Liposuction is an elective, cosmetic surgical procedure in which excess fat cells are removed from under the skin through small incisions using a vacuum device. The procedure is generally performed by plastic surgeons, and if you are interested in having this done you will need to set up an appointment with a surgeon who does liposuction. Generally, liposuction is very well tolerated. The main side effects are some soreness and bruising at the site of the procedure, which should go away in a few days to weeks. More serious potential complications might include an infection at the site of the incision or serious bleeding. Generally, these are unlikely to occur, and your surgeon will follow up with you closely after the procedure to make sure everything is healing as it should. As you know, liposuction is generally a temporary solution, because the tendency is for fat cells to regrow into the area that they are taken out of. However, if you have recently lost a lot of weight, that sounds like you have been successfully dieting and exercising, which is great. You will need to keep that up after the liposuction, however, in order to maximize your benefit from the procedure.