ZocdocAnswersIs the popping sound in my left hip caused possibly from sitting down too much?

Question

Is the popping sound in my left hip caused possibly from sitting down too much?

It happens every time I walk! It is getting louder also. I am concerned it will lock, what should I do?

Answer

Probably the most likely explanation for this is that you are experiencing the normal joint popping sounds that are experienced by many people. It is a little more unusual in the hip (most people associate it with cracking knuckles) but it can definitely occur in any joint in the body. The exact cause of this popping noise is not exactly known; it may be due to small bubbles inside the joint fluid moving around rapidly. There is no evidence that have a joint that 'pops' like this is a sign of a serious medical problem. However, it is important to distinguish a benign popping sound, from joint crepitus. Crepitus would involve a dragging or catching sensation in the hip, with or without noise, and this can be significant. Most often, it would be an early sign of degeneration of the hip joint, from age related arthritis, former injuries, and the like. If you feel like you have a catch to the hip joint, then you should definitely get it checked out by your primary care doctor. If your doctor turns up anything concerning, they may refer you for evaluation to an orthopedic doctor, who will discuss with you potential treatment options.