ZocdocAnswersWhat is the latest treatment for severe hearing loss?

Question

What is the latest treatment for severe hearing loss?

I have severe hearing loss in both ears I am 57 years old and had meneries disease surgery for one ear abot 15 yars ago. I hate hearing aids and would like to find anything that can help. I am interested in cochlear implants.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your severe hearing loss. There are few things in life that has more effect on a person's life than a hearing impairment. Fortunately, there are some options to minimize such effect to help restore your impaired hearing to normal as much as possible. Cochlear implants are good alternatives to hearing aids. However, cochlear implants are not for everyone, although their benefits can be significant. As you already know, a cochlear implant bypasses damaged portions of your inner ears and directly stimulates the auditory nerve so that signals can be sent directly to your brain. Although a cochlear implant compensates for damaged parts of your inner ear, the sound you hear with it, of course, is not the same as normal hearing. However, with time and practice most people with cochlear implants are satisfied with the results and enjoy the benefits of having the ability to carry on conversations with their hearing peers. Although a cochlear implant surgery is considered to be safe, it is still a surgery procedure so it is a good idea to consult with an ENT to discuss the benefits and risks to you. The ENT will also examine you to make sure that you are healthy enough to undergo the surgery. Good luck.