ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about my headaches?

Question

What should I do about my headaches?

I'm 13 years old and ive been having real bad headaches for a while know. I dont feel that asprin or tylenol really help for my headaches because after a take them i dont feel any better than if i didnt take them.

Answer

Most people experience headaches from time to time. Whether they are pounding and throbbing or dull and aching, headaches are common in kids. Headaches can have a wide range of causes, many levels of severity and different types. My advice is a visit with a doctor who can help you determine the underlying cause of your headaches and what type. The most common types are tension headaches, migraines, sinus headache, and cluster headaches. You may have a tension headache (or "stress headache") if you experience a constant, dull, aching feeling on both sides of the head like a band around the head. Unlike a tension headache, people with migraines experience pulsating, throbbing pain that is located primarily on one side of the head and has additional symptoms (dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, and visual changes, etc.) If you have one of the most painful types of headaches called a cluster headache, it may frequently awaken you in the middle of the night with intense pain in or around the eye on one side of your head. Although persistent headaches are very rarely a sign of a serious medical condition, such as brain tumor or meningitis, the severity of your chronic headaches is concerning that needs to be diagnosed so that you can be properly treated. The doctor may prescribe stronger NSAIDS medications or Triptans for the treatment. I would recommend an appointment with a neurologist or pediatrician soon.