Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is this rash on my face?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this rash on my face?


I have a strange rash on my face that runs along my jaw on the left side. It looks like pimples, only smaller. It sort of just showed up. Is this something serious? What could it be?


Many skin conditions look similar so it is not possible to establish a diagnosis of your rash without examining your skin. Also, I am not able to ask you more questions about your condition. That said, I think what you are describing is a very common skin condition called keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris arises when the skin protein keratin plugs up pores within hair follicles. It normally appears as the "raised" pimples that gives the look of "chicken skin" and is most commonly misdiagnosed as acne. It also gives your skin a sandpaper appearance with rough dry red or white little bumps. Keratosis pilaris runs in family and incurable but is not contagious. Having keratosis pilaris is nothing to worry about. However, it is susceptible to scarring and you should resist the urge to pick your bumps. Keratosis pilaris usually resolves on its own by the age of 30, though some cases may persist. Keratosis pilaris is just one possible diagnosis. I suggest a visit with a dermatologist who can review your medical history and have a thorough examination of your skin to arrive a correct diagnosis so that your condition can be treated accordingly.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.