Are the symptoms of adult ADHD the same as the symptoms for younger people?

I have trouble concentrating at work and my mind seems to race. I've never been diagnosed with a mental disorder. Could I have adult ADHD? My symptoms sound like what kids go through when they have it.
Adult forms of ADHD are increasingly being recognized as a problem that requires diagnosis and treatment. In many ways the symptoms of adult ADHD and childhood ADHD are similar. Both stem from problems with attention and concentration. In the case of adult ADHD, however, it is more important to focus on looking at impairment in "adult" spheres of activities, especially work life and relationships, whereas in children much of the diagnosis focuses on school and learning performance. Nevertheless, adults with ADHD tend to be distractible and have trouble remembering or completing tasks. They are often perceived as "time wasters." They also often have trouble with impulse control, trouble in their personal relationships, and problems with fluctuating mood. If you think you might have some of these symptoms you should talk to your primary care doctor or to a psychiatrist. It is especially important to exclude other, more common, causes of distractibility and trouble concentrating, which include depression, anxiety, stress, and fatigue. The chance that you have ADHD is raised if you also, as a child or adolescent, also had some symptoms of distractibility (even if you have never been diagnosed). It is relatively rare for ADHD to 'spring up' in adulthood without some history of earlier symptoms, but talk to your doctor for more information!

Nearby Psychiatrists

Other Psychiatrists