Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I be worried about trouble with my speech?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about trouble with my speech?


In the past few months, I feel like my speech is poor. Like I'm stumbling over words and kind of stuttering. Is something wrong with my brain? I'm very worried...


I would definitely start by going to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible, who can help you figure out if there is something serious going on. Any time that a symptom like this persists for so long, it should be checked out. There are a few non medical causes for the symptoms you describe. Principally, these could include stress or fatigue. However, there are also medical causes that need to be ruled out. First, it is important to rule out the most unlikely but the most serious cause, which would be a tumor or other problem in the brain. Your doctor will want to perform a complete neurological examination. You should also tell your doctor if you have had any other neurological symptoms, such as weakness, problems with coordination, dizziness, or headache. Next, another cause could be trouble with the thyroid gland. Other symptoms might include fatigue, changes in the skin or hair, and changes in weight. Finally, another common cause would be a mood problem, such as depression. Other symptoms might include sadness, loss of interest in outside activities, and disturbances in sex life and sleep and appetite. Your doctor will be able to consider all of these possibilities and help you sort things out.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.