ZocdocAnswersWould an air purifier help with my allergies?

Question

Would an air purifier help with my allergies?

My allergies are getting worse don't know if it's the carpet or what but it's bad now. I'm thinkin air purifier

Answer

Indoor allergies from mold, mites, and similar particles can be very severe. The can be worse in the hot weather, as the heat and the humidity allows the mold and the mites to proliferate. You are right that carpet is a big offending agent, as are mattresses. Getting rid of carpet and covering mattresses with mattress covers can help. Air conditioners (to reduce heat and humidity) and HEPA air filters can also help some. However, I would also recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor. In addition to the things you can do at home to clean up the environment, it is usually necessary to take medications in order to get allergies under control. The two most commonly used classes of medications for allergies are the antihistamines, which are medicines like Claritin (loratidine) and Zyrtec (cetirizine), as well as the nasal steroid spray, which include Flonase (fluticasone) and Nasonex (mometasone). Your doctor will be able to perform an exam to confirm that your allergies are flaring up and then will help you decide which medications might be the right ones to help you start feeling a lot better!