ZocdocAnswersCould all of my ailments be a result of a thyroid condition?

Question

Could all of my ailments be a result of a thyroid condition?

I'm seriously confused. I'm a 27 year old male and have had problems with my health for years. Everything from a hernia, to being sick a lot, to just not feeling right all the time. I read about thyroid conditions online, but the symptoms seem very general. Could my problems have to do with an overactive thyroid gland?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been having so many problems with your health over the years, especially for someone as young as yourself. The thyroid gland is sort of like the "gas pedal" of your bodies metabolism. I don't have much to go on as far as your symptoms, but I can give you some general information about thyroid problems and recommend the correct physician for you to see if you have a thyroid problem. First of all the hernia shouldn't be related at all if this is truly a thyroid issue. The thyroid gland uses iodine to manufacture thyroid hormone (mainly T3 and T4) to modulate cell function and metabolism. If the levels of thyroid hormone within the body are too high, the condition is called hyperthyroidism. If this is the case, these people have a lot of energy (the gas pedal is pushed down too far), they lose weight (which is why thyroid hormone is used in some of the rapid, aka unhealthy, diet pills), and they can develop abnormal heart rhythms. Hypothyroidism is the opposite (the gas pedal isn't pushed down enough), and the levels of thyroid hormone are too low. In this case the person can be lethargic, gain weight easily, and can have a cold intolerance (just as an example). To find out what your thyroid level is, your physician can easily order a blood test. This can be done by your general practitioner, or an endocrinologist (someone who specializes in the endocrine organs, which is what the thyroid is). I hope that this is helpful.