Can you get mild food poisoning or is it severe every time?

I ate at a restaurant with my family and got really sick the next morning. I threw up and had to go to the bathroom all day. I'm still sortof sick now. Could it be food poisoning? I always thought the symptoms were way worse. Can you get a mild case of food poisoning
What you experienced at the restaurant does sound like food poisoning. A typical case of food poisoning is one in which the symptoms come on pretty quick (definitely within a day, usually less) and the symptoms do tend to be rather severe, with lots of vomiting or diarrhea. However, after that, symptoms should settle down and you should feel better. It is possible to feel under the weather after an episode of food poisoning for a few days but then you should be improving. I am not sure from your question how long it has been since you had the episode of food poisoning, but definitely if you are still have symptoms after a few days out, you should go to see your doctor. In addition to food poisoning, which occurs when preformed bacterial toxins in the food provoke symptoms, it is also possible to pick up an actual bacterial infection from contaminate food. This tends not to cause symptoms that are so sudden or so severe; rather, the symptoms (such as abdominal pain, nausea, fever) tend to build up over a few days. This might be what is going on, or it could be something else entirely - your primary care doctor should be able to help you figure it out.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251