How often should I see a gynecologist?

20 year old female. Family never had health insurance, but now I have it through my work. Just went to the gynecologist for the first time since I was in my early teens. How often should I go now that I have insurance? Do I need to go once a year? More?
Most doctors would recommend that you should have an annual physical examination once a year. Your insurance will also pay for you to go see your doctor for an annual checkup once a year. Your annual gynecology exam will focus on things like a pap smear, vaginal exam, and breast exam, as well as addressing any questions that you may have about your periods, pregnancy, birth control, etc. It is important to remember that if you are going to a gynecologist who does not also do regular primary care, then you still need to have another primary care doctor who can deal with all of the other basic medical checkup issues, such as checking out your heart and lungs, necessary bloodwork, vaccinations, etc, as these are often issues that a gynecologist does not address. Some primary care doctors also perform gynecology services, so that is another potential option if you are looking to consolidate your visits and be more efficient. However, many patients go to see their primary care doctor once a year and also go to see their gynecologist once a year. Both of these are acceptable options; whatever makes the most sense to you is what you should do.

• Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309