ZocdocAnswersWhat foods prevent prostate cancer?

Question

What foods prevent prostate cancer?

What is the right kind of diet for me to be on? It runs in my family and I'm trying to be proactive. I'm 35.

Answer

The prevention of prostate cancer is an active topic of research and something we as physicians are interested in improving. So far, we have been quite unsuccessful at coming up with good preventative measures, and our screening test (the prostate specific antigen, or PSA) is suboptimal for most men. So far, there are no specific foods or diets that I can recommend that can reduce your likelihood of getting prostate cancer. Perhaps in the future, we will know more. Since you have a family history of prostate cancer, you should probably consider being screened earlier. The PSA test is not a great test, but can be useful in someone who is more likely to get prostate cancer than the general population. If you were my patient, I would consider screening you first between the ages of 40 and 50 and perform a prostate exam at least once per year. If it is caught early, then a lot can be done to prevent it from becoming deadly. The best physician for you to see about this is your primary care physician. He or she can review the pros and cons of the PSA test and place it into the context of your family history. From there, you will be able to make an informed decision.