ZocdocAnswersCan your emotional state affect your physical health?

Question

Can your emotional state affect your physical health?

My bf broke up with me. Been really sad. Now I'm very sick and getting worse. Can your emotions or your mood make you sick? Does your brain tell your body to be sick or something if you're sad?

Answer

You mind and your body are intimately connected, and sadness, anxiety, and other emotional states can all have major effects on the body. Typical symptoms that can be brought out by emotional states include headaches, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, and trouble with sleep, among many others. I am not exactly sure what symptoms you have, as it is not totally clear from your question, but I would highly recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor. The first step will be to make sure that whatever you have going on is not another medical condition unrelated to your current emotional state. If things check out physically, then your doctor can help connect you with services to deal with the stress of your recent break up. You may benefit from talking to a counselor or psychologist. If you have symptoms of depression or anxiety, and if those have been going on for a while and causing significant impairment in your daily functioning, those conditions may need to be treated with medications. If at any point you feel sad to the point that you begin to feel like you might want to hurt yourself, that is an emergency and you should immediately seek medical help.