ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about a pimple that doesn't go away?

Question

What should I do about a pimple that doesn't go away?

I have this white spot that I though was a pimple right next to my nose on the side. It's been there for months and just doesn't go away. Is it a pimple? How do I make it go away?

Answer

I would suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist to help you figure out what is going on. White spots in this location on the face are often pimples. However, pimples are usually sore and red for a few days, come to a head, and then burst and fade away. It would be pretty unusual for a single pimple to persist for months, although it is possible. Some very large pimples that are persistent may need to be lanced and drained, and your doctor can assess this. Alternatively, this could be something other than a pimple, such as a small cyst on the face. Again, your doctor will be able to tell the different and, based on what they find, recommend an appropriate treatment. While you are waiting to see your doctor, keep that area of your skin clean and dry. I would also avoid trying to pop or squeeze the spot, as that tends just to run the risk of irritating the skin, increasing redness and inflammation, and potentially causing an infection of the skin that may be more difficult to treat. Start with a call to your primary doctor or your dermatologist, who will be able to deal with this issue in a regular office visit.