ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing my fever?

Question

What's causing my fever?

I have a fever, but no other symptoms. Doesn't feel like the flu or anything and my nose and chest feel fine. Is this a cause for concern? Why would I have a fever and nothing else?

Answer

First of all, it is important to measure your fever with a thermometer if you think that you might have one. Sometimes one can feel feverish without actually having a temperature and that is an important distinction to make before you talk to your doctor. If, when you take your temperature, it is over about 100 degrees would be considered a real fever. If your only symptom is fever, without any cold symptoms, muscle aches, abdominal pain, urinary symptoms, diarrhea, etc, then you can probably wait things out without seeing your doctor. Occasionally, you will have a mild viral infection that might cause fever without a lot of additional symptoms; or, it may be that you are early in the infection and that you will develop more symptoms over the next day or two. At that point, you will have more information to discuss with your doctor. That being said, if the fever is very high, say greater than about 101.5, that is a sign of a potentially more serious infection, and you might want to at least touch base with your doctor by phone. While waiting things out you should rest and drink lots of liquids to help yourself recuperate.