ZocdocAnswersCould chewing too much gum have caused the white patch on my mouth?

Question

Could chewing too much gum have caused the white patch on my mouth?

I chew gum all day, almost every day. I noticed I have a white patch on the inside of my mouth on one side. Could chewing too much gum have caused this?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you noticed a white patch on your mouth on one side. Without a better description of exactly where the lesion is, and the characteristics of it, it is hard to tell you with any certainty exactly what is going on. To get the best, most accurate answer, I would recommend making an appointment to be evaluated by an otolaryngologist (ENT aka Ears Nose Throat physician) to be evaluated. They will be able to take a pertinent history (for instance ask about smoking or chewing tobacco use, as well as alcohol consumption), and do a thorough exam. The leading cause of head and neck cancer is smoking an alcohol abuse, so of course we would want to rule out the worst possible scenario. With that being said, with the history that you have given me, my best guess is that with all of the gum chewing that you do, you may be slightly biting on the inside of your cheek which is causing some local scarring. This is fairly easy to determine as the lesion is usually a whitish linear area that is located on the medial aspect of your cheek at the interdental line (where your teeth come together). If this is the case, it is benign, and will go away after the trauma stops. With that being said, there are many different things that can cause white lesions in the mouth, and as such I would recommend seeing an ENT. Best of luck.