ZocdocAnswersHow long is it safe to take prednisone to help with my nasal issues?

Question

How long is it safe to take prednisone to help with my nasal issues?

I have nasal problems that won't go away. Bad sinusitis that is turning into nasal polyps. My doc wants me to take a low dose of prednisone for a while. He says its safe, but things I've read online seem to say different. Is it okay to do this? I really need relief from my sinus problems.

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have CRS (chronic rhinosinusitis) with nasal polyps, and you are having issues with continued problems. I am not sure what type of physician you have seen, and who has been following you, but I would recommend seeing an ENT (Ears Nose Throat) physician if you haven't already. They will likely look in your nose with a scope to determine the status of the polyp disease, and exactly how well it is being managed. I am sure that you are aware that nasal polyps or simply overgrowth of the normal mucosal lining within the nose and sinuses. The theory is that for some reason (typically thought to have an allergic component) there is an inflammatory process that leads to swelling, and ultimately overgrowth. It this setting typically topical steroids sprays are used (like flonase or nasonex) and even steroid irrigation solutions (like pulmicort). If this doesn't control the polyps, then we have to try oral steroids. Oral steroids are not without their own set of risks due to the fact that they are absorbed systemically. The risks are typically low, but there are some serious ones like aseptic necrosis of the hip. For the average person, the risk of steroids is low, but I would recommend talking to your physician to be sure.