What could be causing the heavy feeling in my chest?

My chest has been feeling heavy lately. Don't know how else to describe it. Its like someones stepping on it, especially in the morning. What's going on here?
The feeling of heaviness in the chest always makes physicians concerned. This is because this type of chest discomfort (heaviness or squeezing) is sometimes associated with blockages in the coronary arteries going to the heart. If you are older than 40, and have other health problems such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or if you smoke, then this is a much higher possibility. The first question I would have for you is if these symptoms return while you are exercising or exerting yourself in any way. If this is the case, then your heart should be checked out right away. If they are occurring at rest, and not during exertion, then this is less likely (but not impossible). If you haven't seen a doctor for this yet, then you should schedule an appointment to see your primary care physician today. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If your doctor is concerned, then you may be sent to have a stress test. This will involve you walking on a treadmill while your heat is monitored to see if there is any evidence of poor blood flow to your heart. Good luck.