ZocdocAnswersAre these symptoms of endometriosis?

Question

Are these symptoms of endometriosis?

Since I had my now three year old son I get an aching pain in my pelvic floor area once my period starts. It only happens if im standing for a long period of time. Once I sit down and rest for a while the pain subsides. Also for the first two days of my period when my intestines are stimulated and just before I have a bowel movement I get really bad pain in my abdomen area, which passes once I have gone to the bathroom. Is it possible I am suffering from endometriosis? My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 9 months with no success. His sperm analysis was normal, I am ovulating, and my tubes are open. I have also had an HSG done which was normal.

Answer

Your question consists of two separate issues that may or may not relate to each other. First of all, let's address your concern about the possibility of having endometriosis. As you've already learned by now, endometriosis occurs when the uterine tissue implants and grows outside of the uterus, most commonly on the ovaries. A recurrent pelvic pain (accompanying by abdominal pain) that is often associated with your menstrual period is the primary symptom of endometriosis. The pain you are experiencing seems to indicate that you may have endometriosis. Such pain typically worsens over time and is common during or after sexual intercourse. People with this condition most likely to experience pelvic pain with bowel movements and urination during menstruation. Having said all of this, some diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory pelvic disease, and ovarian cysts can have similar signs and symptoms. In particular, uterine fibroids (noncancerous growths in the uterus) and adenomyosis can cause symptoms that are similar to endometriosis. Adenomyosis arises when the cells that normally line the uterus grow into the muscular tissue of the uterine wall. It is most often found in women older than 30 who have had a full-term pregnancy, perhaps like yourself. Like endometriosis, these diseases may also impair fertility. On the other hand, perhaps your infertility has nothing to do with any of these diseases. Perhaps it is the age factor or other non-medical conditions. Or, your experiencing a difficult conception is perhaps due to an unknown cause known as secondary infertility (difficulty conceiving after already having conceived). As you see, it is difficult to confirm a possible diagnosis of endometriosis based on a brief medical history. The only accurate way of diagnosing endometriosis is by diagnostic laparoscopy. I would recommend a consultation with an OB/GYN.