ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing my eyes to be dry, crusty, and itchy?

Question

What is causing my eyes to be dry, crusty, and itchy?

dry crusty itch eys morning nite. They itch a lot.

Answer

If your symptoms have been present for some time now, I would recommend making an appointment to be seen by an ophthalmologist to get your eyes examined. Part of what a physician will be able to do in the visit is take a thorough history, which would be very helpful. For instance, from the information that you have given me thus far my first thought was that there may be a component of allergies. I am not sure if you have a history of seasonal allergies, but these symptoms are frequently seen in the setting of allergies. If you have other symptoms, such as nasal congestion, rhinorrhea, sneezing, etc, then you may benefit from an oral selective antihistamine. These can be bought over the counter (like Zyrtec) or provided via prescription from a physician. If the symptoms are specific to just your eyes, and after an exam your physician does think it is allergies, then it may be fixed with eye drops. If you just recently developed the crusting and itchy eyes all the sudden, you may have developed an infection like conjunctivitis, or pink eye. I wish you all the best, and definitely recommend making an appointment to see an eye doctor.