ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do for chronic knee pain?

Question

What should I do for chronic knee pain?

My knee has been hurting me for a couple of months now. It hurts when i bend it and.pht prwssure on it. When I put pressure on my knee sometimes it gets weak. Now it also hurts when I walk on it. Also the pain has gotten worse

Answer

I am sorry to hear that your knee has been giving you so many problems recently, and that you have a lot of pain. It seems like your question may have been cut off, and incomplete, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability. What you really need is to make an appointment with a sports medicine specialist, or an orthopedic surgeon to be evaluated. They will be able to take a thorough history (i.e. when did the pain start, any history of injuries, any history of surgery, etc...), and perform a thorough exam. It would also be beneficial to know exactly where you feel the pain in your knee when you put pressure on it. It could be something as simple as a sprain, or as severe as a torn ligament, or torn meniscus. The fact that your knee feels weak when you put pressure on it has me worried that there may be something more than a simple sprain. Most problems with the knee can be relatively easily diagnosed by a skilled physician through physical exam. If they find something suspicious on exam, they may order an MRI for evaluation of the cartilage/ligaments in your knee. In the mean time I would recommend icing your knee 20min on and 20min off a couple times a day. I wish you all the best.