ZocdocAnswersDo I need to see a doctor for my toe?

Question

Do I need to see a doctor for my toe?

I think I might have broken my second toe on my left foot. It still won't move properly. Does it require surgery?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have somehow hurt the second toe on your foot and that it isn't moving properly. Since I don't have a lot of your personal history, nor am I able to take a history or examine you, I will have to keep this information rather general. However to get the most specific and accurate answer, I would recommend making an appointment with a general practitioner (family practice doctor or internist) and they will be able to examine you, and have access to your medical records. I am not sure what the mechanism of your injury was, but commonly people "stub" their toes while barefoot, or in sandals. It could be as simple as something like a "jammed" toe, or as bad as a fracture. When people talk about "jamming" a finger or a toe, they are typically referring to hitting it on something head on, which compresses the joint and can cause the two articular surfaces to smash into each other. This results in inflammation which causes pain and swelling which results in decreased joint mobility at times. Typically it will heal over a few weeks as the inflammation goes down. This can be augmented by splinting of the finger (on in this case toe), and icing for 15-20 minutes a few times a day to help decrease swelling. Depending on how bad a fracture in a toe is, they can also be managed conservatively with splinting. If you are truly worried about a fracture, the best way to tell is with an X-ray. Again, I would recommend making an appointment with a physician to be evaluated. I hope that this is helpful.