Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is wrong with my achilles tendon?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my achilles tendon?


I am a runner. I do it everyday and have all the sudden developed a bump on my achilles tendon on my right leg. It was sort of like a pimple at first, but now its a large red bump. Should I get this checked out? What could it be?


Damage to the achilles tendon is pretty common in heavy runners. However, this generally manifests as pain within the tendon, and it should not cause redness of the overlying skin. Therefore, I think a problem with the skin itself is more likely. One possibility would be irritated skin and callus formation from heavy running and the friction that your shoes are producing on the backs of your ankles. If it seems like the bump is right where your shoes rub and if the skin is thickened there, then this is the most likely possibility. Solutions would include putting moleskin over the area or getting a pair of shoes that don't rub the back of your ankles. A second possibility would be that you have developed a skin infection. If the area of redness is spreading, or if it is warm to the touch or if there is any pus, then this is likely. If you suspect a skin infection, you should go see your doctor, because skin infections can sometimes require drainage of pus collections or taking oral antibiotics in order to get the infection under control. I would start by getting in to see your primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.