ZocdocAnswersIs a problem with my circulation making my left arm feel weak?

Question

Is a problem with my circulation making my left arm feel weak?

Having a weak feeling in my left arm lately, like the whole arm all the way to my hand. Is this because of a circulation problem possibly?

Answer

I suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor, who will be able to help you figure out what is going on with your arm. There are several possibilities. One is that you have an overuse injury that has caused some damage to nerves in you neck, elbow, or wrist. These can be quite common, depending on the type of work you do. For example, it is common for people who work at a keyboard all day long to get carpal tunnel syndrome, which causes weakness in the hands. In addition to describing to your doctor how you use the left arm (what you do for work, any sports activities, etc) it would also be important to mention any other potential causes of damage, such as a fall. Circulation problems could also, potentially, cause weakness, or numbness and tingling, in the arm. Especially if you notice that your fingers periodically turn blue or dark colored, this would be consistent with a circulation problem. Circulation problems are more common in people who have heart disease, diabetes, or who smoke. Your doctor will be able to determine whether there is any objective evidence of weakness or another problem with you arm and make recommendations about what to do next.