Could a toothache be caused by a problem with my jaw?

My jaw has felt out of wack since it popped loudly last week. Now my back teeth hurt on the top on the side where my jaw popped. Is my jaw being screwed up making my teeth hurt?
I would recommend making an appointment with a dentist to be evaluated if your teeth continue to hurt. The medical term for the jaw joint is the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The TMJ is so named, because it is made up of two different bones; the glenoid fossa of the temporal bone, and the condyle of the mandible. The TMJ is an interesting joint because it not only has a "hinge-like" function, but when opened widely it will slide as well. This is important because it allows the jaw to open wider than it would otherwise. My best guess from what you describe as a "popping" sensation is that your TMJ subluxed. Subluxation is when a joint temporarily pops out of "socket", then goes right back in. While it doesn't typically cause any permanent damage, unless it happens repetitively, it does cause an inflammatory response which will give a lot of pain and can take a while to go away. So it would be possible that the tooth pain you are feeling is actually referred pain from your jaw. I would still recommend getting it looked at by a dentist however, because you could have an actual problem with one of your teeth that is giving you the pain. I hope that this was helpful, and I hope that your pain goes away. Best of luck.

Other Dentists