Is it bad for your body if you keep getting food poisoning?

I guess I have bad luck. I'm 28 and I've had food poisoning three times from eating at restaurants. Is this bad for my long term health? Can you get it too many times and then end up really ill?
Food poisoning is a somewhat common disease in many parts of the world, but is less so here in the United States. Even so, it is something that many of us will have an encounter with at some point in our life. For most people, it is something that they will recover from with no harmful or long term effects. There are others, however, who will have much worse outcomes. Generally, those who are chronically ill, the elderly, or young children will tend to do worse, for rather obvious reasons. Healthy people can be seriously affected as well, however, in part depending on what type of bacteria or poison is causing the infection. We unfortunately hear of regular outbreaks of serious infections that leave multiple people dead. If you have had repeated infections or bouts of food poisoning, you should both be more careful about where and what you eat, as well as speaking with your doctor to see if there may be something more to your story that is making you more susceptible than most of the other people that are eating at these places. Please speak to your doctor.

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251