ZocdocAnswersDoes HPV have any long term affects on men?

Question

Does HPV have any long term affects on men?

I know that HPV can cause cervical cancer in women. What can it do to men? I think I'm at risk because oef my last GF.

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are at risk of having HPV, and that you are worried, or at least inquisitive as to any long-term risks for men. I am sure that you are aware that HPV is an acronym that stands for "Human Papilloma Virus". The papillomaviruses are a family of viruses that are able to infect humans, and specifically infect the squamous cells (cells which make up skin, or the mucous membrane lining). There are numerous different types of the HPV virus (over 120 named), and some have specific effects that are well known. For instance, types 16, 18, 31, and 45 are all considered "high risk" because they can lead to cervical cancer, anal cancer, vulvar cancer, vaginal cancer, and also penile cancer. There is also a growing body of evidence to show that some oropharyngeal cancers have an association with HPV (HPV 16 is associated with oropharyngeal cancer). Being that HPV is transmitted sexually, it is reasonable to presume that a female infected with HPV could have infected her male partner if protection was not used. Aside from cancers, some of the strains of HPV cause genital warts, or other warty growths. In males most effects of HPV (other than oropharyngeal cancer risk) are relatively easy to monitor as they occur cutaneously. Meaning that if you notice any abnormal growths you should get them checked out. If you have more questions, I would recommend making an appointment with your general practitioner, or a urologist to get an exam, and discuss your concerns. I hope that this was helpful.