ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get rough patches around my back teeth?

Question

Why do I get rough patches around my back teeth?

Around my molars, my back teeth, I get these weird rough patches I can feel with my tongue. Is this a medical issue with my mouth or should I just go to the dentist?

Answer

I am not sure if you mean that the rough patches are actually on your molars themselves or if they are on the gums surrounding your teeth. If the patches are on the molars themselves, then this is probably just an accumulation of plaque and other debris on the teeth. This is fairly common, as it is hard to get to the back of the mouth with the toothbrush and adequately clean the back sides of these teeth. If this is what is going on, then you should just go see your dentist. They will be able to inspect the teeth and clean them as necessary as well as make sure their are no cavities. On the other hand, if the rough patches are on the soft gums or tissue of the mouth itself then this might be another issue. In particular, you might want to worry about this if you are a smoker or use tobacco or drink a lot of alcohol, as this might be an early sign of a spot that could turn into cancer. Either your primary care doctor or your dentist would be able to take a look at this for you and make recommendations.