ZocdocAnswersIs this bump on my forehead a cyst?

Question

Is this bump on my forehead a cyst?

There is a strange little bump, like the size of a dime above my eyebrow on one side. Its painless, but I don't know where I got it. Is it a cyst? Can you get a cyst anywhere on your body?

Answer

Most of the time through taking a focused history, and doing a good physical exam, it is fairly easy to determine what most superficial lesions are. In this case it would be beneficial to know when you first noticed the lump, and whether it has changed size at all, and over what time period. There are many different possibilities as to what this lump may be. There are a number of different lesions that involve the epidermis, such as an epidermal inclusion cyst, which may have become inflamed and got larger to the point of you noticing it. If it is very soft and squishy, it may be a benign fatty tumor called a lipoma. It could potentially be a small abscess if you had a recent cut in the area. Or perhaps it could be a swollen lymph node. If it has been there for a while, and you are worried about what it might be, I would recommend making an appointment with an ENT, dermatologist, or a facial plastics surgeon to evaluate the lesion. Any one of them should be able to give you a good answer, and take care of it if it needs to be removed. I hope that this was helpful, and I wish you all the best.