What are the signs that you have too much sodium in your diet?

I think I take in too much salt. My fingers and feet feel swollen after I eat a lot and my sis says that's what its from. Are there other symptoms of too much sodium? Is it dangerous to my health? I'm only 30.
Swelling, bloating, and high blood pressure and other signs can be common findings in those with too much salt in their diet. Too much sodium can cause many health problems, mostly due to its association with high blood pressure. This is because salt in the body controls the amount of water that your body holds at any given time. When there is lots of salt in the body, your body retains water to try to dilute the salt and maintain an optimal concentration of all the molecules that are constantly circulating. This extra volume causes the blood vessels to swell, resulting in higher blood pressure. While this might not be a problem to a 30 year old, it can become a problem over time by increasing the risk of strokes, heart attacks, blindness, and even death. For this reason there are recommendations about how much salt a person should take in on a daily basis. Most Americans exceed this recommendation. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables can be healthy for many reasons, one of which is because some of the molecules in them can help your body to release some of the extra salt. Please speak with your doctor for more clarification and appropriate blood pressure screening.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235